Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Week One : Thing 2

Pointers from lifelong learners
My mother is my model for a lifelong learner. At the age of 78 she learned how to use a computer and a complicated phone system for her job as receptionist/switchboard operator at a hospital. She was proud to claim that she learned how to use that computer faster than some of "those" younger girls. In her late 40s after having five children and never having graduated from high school she took secretarial courses so that she could join the workforce. She also took up golf and played until the arthritis held her up. She sang in a church choir although she had never had any music training or much of a voice but she loved to sing. In her 70s she began to garden, which she had never done before, on her small apartment patio and took so much joy and pride at the beauty that she created. While I was growing up, she taught herself how to sew and made not only my clothes but also those impossibly tiny clothes for my Barbie doll. What better role model that shows all the attributes of a lifelong learner than my own mother.

No comments: