Friday, September 14, 2007

Week Six ; Thing 13

At heart I'm a cataloger. Early professional experience in librarianship involved lots & lots of cataloging. Such as original cataloging of hundreds of nursing theses (that's how I could tell that I was a cataloger at heart, I actually enjoyed doing it.) I haven't done any "real" cataloging in a while and I miss it. What I don't miss were the limitations of the LC subject headings. They drove me crazy. They were archaic and rigid and everything tagging isn't. That's why I love tagging. Finally subject headings that are personal and flexible. They can evolve as language evolves and keep pace with the world. Now when it comes to Del.icio.us, well, I find it cumbersome and find IE favorites suits my needs and I'm not that interested in peering into others "filing cabints". I barely have enough time to straighten my own.

No comments: